– 1 c. breadcrumbs
– 1 egg
– 1 ¼ lbs ground turkey
– ¼ c. grated Parmesan
– 2 tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– vegetable oil for pan frying
– 1 large jar spaghetti sauce
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 3 cloves minced garlic
– 3 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
– ½ c. red cooking wine
– 2 c. water
– salt and pepper to taste
– optional: ¼ c minced red or green peppers, ½ c. chopped fresh tomatoes, ½ c. chopped mushrooms
– 1 lb spaghetti or other pasta, cooked al dente
– In medium bowl combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsely, garlic, salt and pepper. Using hands, mix all ingredients gently until combined. Form meat mixture into 1 ½ inch meatballs and set aside.
– Carefully add meatballs to oil and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a paper towel lined platter to catch grease.
– In medium skillet heat olive oil. Add garlic and onions, and cook until translucent. Add herbs and mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers (if desired.) Cook until just tender. Add jar of pasta sauce, red wine, and water. Bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes or until sauce reduces to desired thickness.
– Add meatballs and cook 10 minutes more.
– Cook pasta according to package, and serve with sauce. Top with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.